The Morden Community Gardens offer affordable, rented garden plots to residents of Morden. It was developed by Morden Community Development Corporation and as of this 2019 season, managed by the Parks and Urban Forestry Department. The land and funding to prepare the plots was supplied by the City of Morden. The community garden is managed by staff from the Parks and Urban Forestry Department. If you have any questions please contact Shawn Dias at firstname.lastname@example.org or 204-362-3999.
The Community Gardens are located at 189 Grant Street, Loren Drive, and 19th Street. At Grant Street the garden plots are on the east side and parking is available on the west side of the lot. Street parking is available at Loren Drive and 19th Street gardens.
How Many Plots are there?
The plots sizes are generally 16′ x 25′. Between all three of the community gardens there are 106 garden plots available.
How much does a plot cost?
One garden plot costs $46.00 per year.
How can I register?
Returning gardeners from 2018 have the first chance to reserve a plot, and new comers will be granted plots on a first come – first served basis.
Registration for the 2019 season will take place at the Civic Centre on April 24, 25, and 26 from 9:00AM – 4:00PM.
What are the regulations?
- The garden plot corners are clearly marked by stakes with your garden plot number listed. Please do not remove these stakes during the season. Metal stakes throughout the site are permanent boundary markers and should not be moved.
- Plant your garden between the marked areas. Stay two feet within the boundaries of your plot. Walk only on walkways and on your own plot. Leave areas wide enough for you to walk around the border of your own plots. Anyone walking in someone else’s plot is trespassing.
- There is no garbage pick-up at the garden site. All plastic, paper and other refuse must be taken home. No debris of any kind should be left at the site.
- Each gardener is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of their garden plot. Watering, weeding, harvesting and any other garden related maintenance are all the responsibility of the gardener.
- Each gardener must complete a Release of Claims form before any work in the garden can begin.
- The application of chemical sprays such as herbicides (weed killers) and pesticides is prohibited.
- Plot fees are due in full before the garden season begins.
- Gardeners may harvest vegetables and flowers from their garden only.
- At the end of the growing season, gardeners are responsible for clearing their plot of all plant material and leaving the plot as they found it in the spring.
- Please dispose of weeds and plant materials in designated compost areas.
- Be considerate of your neighbors. Do not plant sprawling crops or tall ones where they might interfere with others.
- If vandalism or theft occurs, notify the garden committee immediately. Help us discourage losses by questioning unfamiliar faces.
- Dogs, except those on a leash, are not allowed.
- Family members are welcome to the garden site. Please supervise young children so they don’t disturb other plots.
- Individual fencing of plots is allowed. Please keep structures under 4 feet tall and neat. They should be removed before fall plowing.
- Notify the garden coordinator if you are no longer able to tend your plot or will be absent for a long period of time.
- Please park only in prescribed areas.
- The bulletin board is a way for all of us to stay in touch. Please use it for any garden-related purposes.
- If you have any questions, suggestions, or complaints, please contact one of the garden committee members.
- Your compliance with the above regulations will help everyone have an enjoyable and prosperous garden. Failure to comply with above regulations during the season may result in a loss of future gardening privileges.
Release of Liability Agreement
Your participation in this Community Garden Program requires that you read and sign a Liability and Indemnification Agreement. This is to advise you of the risks that you may experience as a result of participating in this program.