The next municipal election will be:  OCTOBER 24, 2018

Previous Election Results

Who is eligible to vote?

  • You must be a Canadian Citizen
  • You must be at least 18 years old on the Election Day (October 24th, 2018)
  • You must be a resident of the municipality for at least 6 months before the Election Day OR
  • You must be a registered owner of land in the municipality on Election Day and have been so for at least the six (6) months before Election Day.

Voting Location:

Voting Stations will be open for voting on Wednesday the 24th day of October 2018 between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. at:  Access Event Centre, 111 Gilmour Street, Morden

Advance Voting:

If you are unable to vote on Election Day, an advance voting opportunity will be located at Morden 55+ Activity Centre, 306 North Railway Street, Morden, and will be open Thursday, the 18th day of October 2018 between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.

Mailed Ballots:

You may vote by sealed envelope if:

  • You are unable to go in person to a voting station due to a disability
  • You are providing care to a person who is unable to leave home, OR
  • You expect, on the advance polling day and the Election Day to be absent from your municipality.

by applying in person, in writing, or by fax to the Senior Election Official at City of Morden, 100-195 Stephen St, Morden MB  R6M 1V3; Fax 204-822-6494.  Please state your reason for application, name, address in Morden, mailing address and signature.  Each voter per household wishing to have a mail-in ballot must provide this information.  A voter may apply between the 26th day of September 2018 and 19th day of October 2018.

What if I have trouble reading?

If you have difficulty reading, you may ask the voting official to allow another person to come with you to the voting booth to help mark your ballot.

Can I vote if I am in the hospital or other health care facility?

Yes, on Election Day there will be a mobile voting station to serve eligible voters who are patients or residents of a health care facility within the municipality.

Can I vote if my name is not on the voters list?

Provided that you are an eligible voter, you may still vote if your name is not on the voters list. You must provide the elections officer with the following identification:

  • An official document issued by a federal, provincial or municipal government that contains your name, address and photograph; OR
  • At least two other documents that provide evidence of your identity which are satisfactory to the election official.

Thinking of running for Council?

Residents will have the opportunity to vote for a Mayor and six Councillors. If you are thinking of running for Council – here are some crucial pieces of information to help you make your decision.


To become a candidate, you must:

  • be at least 18 years of age on election day
  • be a Canadian citizen
  • have lived in Morden for the six months preceding election day
  • have not been disqualified from running under The Municipal Act, or any other Act

You are not qualified to run if you:

  • are an employee, other than the City Manager of the City of Morden (unless you are granted a leave of absence)
  • are a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench or the Court of Appeal
  • are a provincial judge or justice of the peace
  • are a member of the Legislative Assembly of Manitoba, the Canadian Senate, or House of Commons of Canada
  • are a sitting member or are nominated for office in another municipality or school division
  • have been disqualified from running under The Municipal Act or any other Act

Nomination of Candidates:

  • Nomination forms will be available at Morden Civic Centre at the beginning of August in the year of the election.
  • Nominations require at least 25 signatures from local residents who are eligible to vote in the Morden municipal election.
  • Completed nomination forms must be submitted, in person, at Morden Civic Centre. The dates for acceptance of these forms will be outlined in the local paper nearer to the date of the election.

Campaign Duration:

A resident cannot be considered a candidate of the election until the City of Morden office has accepted the nomination form by the dates specified in The Municipal Councils and School Boards Election Act.

Rules about Campaign Expenses:

There are new rules to follow with regard to campaign expenses. Full reporting is required after the election so it is a good idea to know the facts. All the details can be found in By-Law 6-2018. Example: The limit to campaign expenses that may be incurred by registered candidates shall be
(a)      for head of council, $10,000; and
(b)      for councillor, $2,500.
Click here to read the full By-Law 6-2018 for Campaign Expenses and Contributions.

How long is the term?

The Mayor and Councillors serve four-year terms.
The 2014 council remains in place until the fourth Monday of October, 2018.

Time Commitments & Council:

The demands on time is substantial. Municipal council is required to attend

  • regular meetings of Council
  • meetings of any committees, boards and agencies to which they are appointed as representative
  • conferences, conventions, seminars and workshops
  • social and other events promoting Morden

Elected representatives must review hundreds of pages of reports prior to monthly meetings, meet regularily with the City Manager, and be available for address by local residents.

Roles of Elected Representatives:

Members of Council

  • have an opportunity to significantly influence Morden’s future. This opportunity will depend on the ideas and visions that the majority of Council is resolved to commit to. All Council decisions are made at meetings open to the public.
  • do not have the opportunity to commit the City to expenditures, nor personally be able to direct the activities of City employees. Any promises candidates make during a campaign that involves these things can only be carried out if the majority of Council passes a resolution to do so.

Council Salaries:

The Mayor’s indemnity is $23,610 per year, Deputy Mayor’s is $16,814 per year and Councillors receive $ 15,740 per year.

If you have questions, email info@mordenmb.com or call 204-822-4434.